AI Upscaling: Star Wars 1977, Laser Disc release (Video)


This week I wanted to tackle the original Star Wars. Will it upscale nicely? Let's find out.

The movie Star Wars, released 1977, has since become A New Hope and have only released in high-definition in the heavily edited Special Editions. Fans have tried to manually re-edit the Star Wars movies into their original form. Another way might be AI upscaling. I used a Laser Disc release I found onine, which should be the highest quality release of the original cut of Star Wars. A direct rip of the LaserDisc itself onto a hard-drive (instead of uploaded) might give a better source to work from, but this is the best I could do.

I'm going to release AI upscaling like this one more often. Like my previous AI upscaling videos, some will look great when upscaled, while others won't see as much improvement. That's what experimenting is all about.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

NOTE: View this on a larger device and in 4K. The difference will be hard to notice on a mobile screen. The 4K resolution on a 1080p gives better results than YouTube's actual 1080p resolution. So even if you don't have a 4K screen, you can still see the difference.

Comments